Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cream of Chicken and Artichoke Soup

The weather guys were wrong. I planned a cold Sunday afternoon with lots of baking with the big girls and little girls, and soup.

Soup is one of my favorite foods. But, I do NOT consider vegetable beef soup "the soup", just like I don't consider ankle pumps an exercise. Elaboration...ground beef, a can of tomato soup, two cans of veg all does NOT equal soup. It equals three bad ingredients in one pot. Legs extended and moving your ankles is not an exercise. But, these two things are the first thing mentioned when I say "soup", and "start your exercises." yuk.

This recipe is adapted from one I received from Karen.



2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
2 can artichoke hearts, rinsed well, broken apart
1/2 cup butter
1 diced onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup flour
5 cups chicken stock
1 1/4 cup fat free half and half
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
red (cayenne) pepper to taste

Melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and saute 3 minutes until tender. Add bell peppers, garlic and artichokes. Saute 3-5 minutes until artichokes are tender. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly until roux. Slowly add chicken stock, one cup at a time, stirring constantly. Bring to a low boil then reduce to simmer for 30 minutes. remove from heat and slowly add cream. Add chicken, lemon juice, parsley and basil. Add dry seasonings to taste. Simmer 10 more minutes.

I have used other "milks" such as regular half and half, whole milk,fat free milk and a mixture of what I have on hand. I adjustments the original recipe by adding lemon, roasted red bell peppers and basil.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I cannot wait to try this! Looks so good.